If death occurs at home
1. Telephone the doctor who will visit to confirm that death has taken place.
2. Contact funeral director.
3. Arrange to collect the doctors medical certificate (usually from the surgery)..
4. Take this to the registrar’s office (together with the deceased medical card and birth certificate if available) for the area in which the death took place. Alternatively you can register by declaration at any convenient registrar’s office but certificates will not be available a these will have to be posted to you in a few days later.
5. The registrar will normally issue as green coloured certificate for you to take to the funeral director who will look after the necessary arrangements for the funeral. The registrar will also issue a white notification certificate for the DSS. They will also enquire as to the number of copies you require for dealing with the deceased finances (a fee is payable for each copy).
If the death occurs in Hospital
1. Contact a funeral director to inform him his services are required.
2. Collect the certificate from the hospital then follow step 4&5 as above.
Note for Cremation
Your funeral director will usually liaise directly with the surgery the additional certification required.